No More Empty Fortune Cookies!

Monday, July 2, 2012

Blind Girl Walking!

So, I decided to go for a walk today. It is significantly cooler out there after last night's rain, and I wanted to take full advantage of the milder temps while they lasted. One thing always strikes me as I walk with my cane. People stare at me a lot. They stop and stare at me as I walk around the trash can in my path well before my cane has tapped it. They stop and stare at me watching the Walk and Don't Walk signs on the street corners. They stop and look at me as they talk in hushed tones to their children.
I don't mind it most days, but sometimes I just want to yell, "You know, I CAN see you!"
I don't think they do know. Or they do know I can see some things and they wonder why I'm using a blind cane.

Here's the thing. While you're out on a walk, you are looking ahead and this is what you see:

Hell, if I'm walking along side of you, you can probably see me, too, can't you? Even when your eyes are focused straight ahead at that cabin door?

Well, while I'm walking right along side of you, this is what I see:


Now, admittedly, the bright lights and flashing, pulsating lights can be quite entertaining at times, they are pretty much constant, and can also be really distracting. 
And notice, I can't see any of that path leading up to the door. I can see the door and some of the cabin, but not much else. And in my eyes, I can barely even tell if it is day or night lighting. In the shade, or even partial shade it may as well be midnight to me. 

I tell you this so that next time you are out and you see a person with a blind cane please try to understand that there are so many levels of blindness, and that lot of times, us "blind" people actually can see you gawking at us. And if you see me tap, tap, tapping my way along the sidewalk, don't wonder why I can see but use the stick. 
Just be glad I'm not behind the wheel of a car!





2 cookies cracked:

Hannah Thompson said...

I love your blog Angie, and this post in particular. As a fellow white cane user I thought your post was funny and accurate. You can read my thoughts of my cane here:
http://hannah-thompson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/reading-white-cane.html

I've linked to your post: I hope you don't mind.

Fortune Cookies said...

I don't mind at all, Hanna! Thanks for stopping by!